Services at Omphysio
What is a Pregnancy massage?
Pregnancy massage has been in practice for many years. The common terms are Pre Natal and Post Natal massage. Pregnancy massage helps ease the aches and pains due to changes taking place in a woman’s body. Prenatal massage is designed to support mothers physically, mentally and spiritually through the challenges of childbirth. This type of massage will relieve aches and pains, reduce stress and decrease swelling in expectant and new mothers. Please do let our therapists know if you are in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Who would benefit from a Pregnancy massage?
Women who are experiencing aches and pains around the back neck and around the pelvis. As the weight of the baby increases, your body has a work a lot harder which can lead to tired legs. Other associated symptoms could be anxiety, joint swelling or disrupted sleep.
People who may choose to select this treatment:
- Pregnant women in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.
- New mums.
- Mothers experiencing aches and swelling in legs or extremities.
- Want to feel calm and supported.
Unfortunately, if you are in your first three months of pregnancy you will not be able to book a massage through us. If you are more than thirteen weeks pregnant (2nd trimester), you should still seek advice from a healthcare professional before starting treatment.
People who should not choose a Pregnancy massage
- Still in the 1st trimester
- Have a history of miscarriage or high-risk pregnancy.
- Are prone to blood clots.
- Experiencing cramping or bleeding.
- General contraindications following a C-section.
Pregnancy massage potential benefits
- Alleviates stress on weight-bearing joints and surrounding musculature.
- Increases blood circulation to both mother and foetus.
- Relieves discomfort caused by pregnancy, including lower back pain, varicose veins, constipation heartburn.
- Stabilises hormonal levels, and soothes the nervous system.
- Enhances the pliability of skin.
- Prepares the mother-to-be for an easier delivery.
- Provides expecting women with emotional support and a nurturing touch.